While we are fortunate in Australia to have a world class aged care system in place, as our population ages, we need to make fundamental changes to ensure the system is sustainable, affordable and offers flexibility and choice for consumers.
As the pressure on existing residential aged care and the issues around building more continue to grow, more solutions need to be found to ease the responsibility of caring for elderly parents.
More than 75 per cent of Australians over 60 who were surveyed by the Australian Productivity Commission, stated they wanted to stay in their own home as they age, which means it is in the Federal Government and the community’s best interest to make it attractive to keep people in their home for as long as possible.
Home Care Packages can be a wonderful solution to the increasing demands for residential aged care.
Depending on an individual’s needs, a Home Care Package provides a co-ordinated package of services tailored to meet specific care needs to help the person stay in their own home and also provide choice in the way care and services are provided in the home.
Services that may be provided, include:
- support services – such as help with washing and ironing, house cleaning, gardening, basic home maintenance, home modifications related to your care needs and transport to help you with shopping, visit your doctor or attend social activities
- personal care – such as help with showering or bathing, dressing and mobility
- nursing, allied health and other clinical services – hearing services and vision services
- care co-ordination and case management.
- Consumers have more say in the care and services accessed, how it is delivered and who delivers it
- Consumers will have conversations about their needs and goals
- Consumers will work in partnership with the service provider to develop the care plan
- Consumers agree to the level of involvement in managing the care package
- Consumers will have a greater understanding about how the package is funded and how those funds are spent through an individualised budget and monthly income and expense statement
- The service provider will monitor and provide the consumer with ongoing formal reviews to ensure the package still meets all the needs.
CDC gives the consumer and their carers greater ability to influence the types of care services and the goals of the care which are received. It also allows a greater degree of choice in what services are delivered, as well as where and when they are delivered.
Home Care Packages are funded by the Commonwealth Department of Health to support eligible people over the age of 65 years with the essential home care assistance they need to live a quality life independently, maintaining their personal and social connections with the community, in the comfort of their own home.
Oxley Home Care is an Approved Provider of Home Care Packages funded by the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, and we offer home care solutions and elderly care in metropolitan Sydney.
Oxley Home Care’s mission is to empower people; regardless if they are frail or aged by providing quality home care services specifically tailored to meet their individual needs.
Our care philosophy focuses on Consumer Directed Care (CDC), a philosophy designed to empower you to make informed decisions about the type of support services that you believe best meet your needs.
If you would like to find out more about Oxley Home Care’s Home Care Packages, please feel free to call us on 1300 993 591.