“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young” – Henry Ford
Henry Ford may not have been talking about computers and the Internet, but his quote is apt when it comes to learning the ways of technology.
The world is a different place since many seniors were in the workforce. In fact, technology moves so fast, the world is different from 10 years ago.
The proliferation of the Internet on culture, smartphones and social media is a Brave New World for many people, not just those who were born when sliced bread was a wonderful new invention.
It’s important to be connected, and unlike any other time in history – now is the time you can be connected to anyone, anywhere. Now is a time where it’s possible to hold a computer in the palm of your hand and see and hear your family in another city or country.
Being tech savvy, or even just tech aware can open up many new avenues for many people. Computers, tablets and smart phones have helped make day-to-day errands, such as paying a bill or doing your banking so much easier.
Even for those who are living with dementia, technology can assist in making life easier through many applications, Skype or FaceTime.
There are many classes and groups on Sydney’s Northern Beaches which teach – at each individual’s own pace – the essential skills for computers, tablets and smart phones. For those in Northern Beaches Aged Care – these groups provide a lifeline to learning and staying connected.
Check these groups out:
- Belrose & Terrey Hills Computer Pals for Seniors Tutors available for on-to-one lessons. Cost $30 per school term plus $20 one-off joining fee. Mon to Fri 9am-1pm.
- Terrey Hills Community Centre, Yulong Rd, Terrey Hills 2084. Tel: 9451 4216 or 9452 1402, email@example.com
- Forest Computer Pals for Seniors. Mon to Fri 9am-4pm. Forestville Memorial Hall, 3 Starkey St, Forestville 2087. Tel: 9975 7762, ForestCompals@swiftdsl.com.au forestcomputerpals.org.au
- Manly Computer Pals for Seniors. Mon to Fri 9am-5pm. Manly Seniors Centre, 275 Pittwater Rd, Manly 2095. Tel: 9976 0930, firstname.lastname@example.org manlycompals.org.au
- Northern Beaches Computer Pals for Seniors. Mon to Fri 9am-4pm
- Tramshed Community Arts Centre, 1395a Pittwater Rd, Narrabeen 2101 (due to renovations, the group is temporarily located at Dee Why RSL). Tel: 9984 0604, 9913 1433 email@example.com compalsnb.org.au
Did you find this article informative? Subscribe to our newsletter here for regular news and updates that affect you.
Learn more about how enhancing your muscles improves your brain’s performance here.
To find out about Oxley Home Care’s Dementia Care Service, click here.
About Oxley Home Care
Oxley Home Care provides Dementia Care, Private Care, Home Care, Nursing and Allied Health to enable people to live a quality life independently in their own home and stay connected to their local community.
To find out more about getting the right support and care for you or a family member, contact Oxley Home Care on 1300 993 591.